Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Enterprise, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to on-premises authority servers.
This article describes how to upgrade the Code42 servers in your Code42 environment to version 6.0.0, and to perform associated Code42 app upgrades. The steps below apply to upgrades from Code42 server versions 5.1.2 - 5.4.3.
If your authority server is managed or monitored by Code42, our Customer Champions work with you to upgrade your Code42 environment. Do not attempt to upgrade your environment on your own.
If you have any questions about upgrading your Code42 environment, or if you need assistance troubleshooting the upgrade, contact our Customer Champions for support.
Step 1: Review upgrade considerations
Review the upgrade considerations below that apply to your current Code42 server version (more than one section may apply). Complete any necessary tasks before continuing.
Step 2: Download the upgrade file
Step 3: Upgrade your Code42 servers
Follow our instructions to upgrade the Code42 servers in your Code42 environment:
Step 4: Upgrade users' Code42 apps
Option A: Upgrade from version 5.x to 6.0.0
Option B: Upgrade from version 4.x to 6.0.0
Affected Code42 platform components
The upgrade from Code42 server versions 5.1.2 - 5.4.3 to 6.0.0 includes changes to the following components. View Code42 on-premises server and app release notes version 6.0.0 for details.
- Code42 server
- Code42 app
Code42 server version 6.0.0 is compatible with the following components.
Windows, Mac, and Linux:
This list only indicates technical compatibility between the Code42 app and Code42 server. Some older Code42 app versions may have reached end-of-life. See the Code42 version policy for current supported versions.
All storage servers in your Code42 environment must use the same Code42 server software version as your authority server.
Considerations for upgrading to version 6.0.0
Review the all the considerations below that apply to your current Code42 server version. If your current version is more than one version behind the latest version, multiple sections below may apply to you.
Upgrades from version 5.4.3 and older
Do not make any configuration changes to Code42 app settings in the Code42 console while upgrading your Code42 server. As a best practice, wait 24 hours after pushing any configuration changes to Code42 apps before you upgrade the Code42 server, and wait 24 hours after the server upgrade completes before changing any settings. Contact our Customer Champions for support if you have any questions.
- Version 6.0.0 introduces different subscription options, called product plans. As a result, it's important to ensure your authority server is able to connect to the Code42 licensing server. The Code42 console displays alerts on both the Alerts and Licensing pages if there is no connection. See Unable To Contact Code42 Licensing Server for steps to troubleshoot problems with the connection.
- In the Legal Hold web app, preservation policies are now configured independently of each legal matter. After upgrading to 6.0.0, any existing legal holds will be migrated to separate matters and policies.
- If you use the Code42 API to manage legal holds, the
LegalHoldresource removes the
configOverrideparameter and adds the
holdPolicyUidparameter. Make sure to update any scripts or integrations as appropriate.
- If you use a proxy server, version 6.0 now requires explicitly specifying the
DIRECToption in the PAC file.
- The projected end-of-life date for Code42 server version 6.0.0 is December 2018.
Upgrades from version 5.3.1 and older
All items from the 5.4.3 section above apply, plus:
- Customizations to Code42 console label text and button colors must be re-applied after upgrading to Code42 server version 6.0.0:
- Label text customizations created in Code42 server version 5.3.x and earlier must be copied from /web/base/console/custom/*.txt to /content-custom/Default-custom/shared/custom/properties.json
- Button color customizations created in Code42 server version 5.3.x and earlier must be copied from /content-custom/Default-custom/shared/custom/config.css to /content-custom/Default-custom/shared/custom/properties.json
Upgrades from version 5.2.1 and older
- Beginning with version 5.3.0 of the Code42 platform, the Code42 app is no longer bundled with the Code42 server. Compatible Code42 app versions are available for download from the new App Downloads screen in the Code42 console. See Adding Clients To Your Code42 environment for more details.
- You may need to refresh the Code42 console to see the new App Downloads screen after the upgrade completes.
- You may be prompted to upgrade clients after the upgrade completes. Ignore this prompt; client upgrades are managed from the App Downloads screen in version 6.0.0.
- If the File Selection setting is locked in the Code42 console (Settings > Device Backup > Backup), you must take action to ensure all Code42 app devices are using version 4.5.2 or later before upgrading to Code42 server version 6.0.0.
- Use the Device Status Report to view devices' Code42 app version.
- If upgrades are required, see Upgrading CrashPlan Devices In Your Code42 Environment.
- Frequency and Version retention settings in the Code42 console now use only one set of push and lock buttons for all settings, instead of individual push and lock buttons for each setting. If either the Frequency or Version retention settings are locked, both are locked after upgrading to version 6.0.0.
- To enable TLS messaging, configure your network to:
- Allow all Code42 servers to communicate over ports 4287 and 4288
- Allow all user devices to communicate over port 4287