When you plan your Code42 environment you need to consider many factors. To make this easier, Code42's team of systems engineers are ready to help you with the process. This article discusses the ways in which a systems engineer can help you effectively plan, deploy, and manage your Code42 environment.
How your systems engineer can help
Your Code42 systems engineer (SE) is your on-call expert, with the knowledge, training, and experience to help you plan your Code42 environment and deployment. An SE can help create a proof of concept (POC) for your company, identify your specific requirements, and design the best solution for your organization, whether you have a growing startup or a global enterprise. Your SE is a powerful resource who understands the factors that go into a successful deployment to provide your company with maximum value.
If you are an existing customer or a prospective customer working with our sales team, contact your SE or account representative for help.
If you don't have an SE or don't know who your SE is, contact sales to get connected to your local sales team and an SE.
Factors to consider with your SE
We have minimum system requirements for installing a Code42 server, but your company's unique environment might require more than these minimums. Here are a few factors to discuss with your SE when planning your Code42 environment:
Users and devices
- Number of users and endpoint devices to back up
- Rate of deployment to your organization
- Projected user growth rate
- Average amount of data per device to back up
- Projected growth rate of data per device
Architecture and network
- Network topology, capacity, and utilization
- Locations with devices and times of day when the Code42 app can back up.
- Code42's SaaS solution—everything is managed by Code42 cloud. No on-premises authority server or storage servers.
- Authority server is on-premises, installed on your own hardware or on a managed appliance.
- Storage servers are either on-premises or in the cloud.
- Code42 app deployment options
- Customized installers
Security and authentication
Our managed appliance gives you the control and security benefits of a on-premises Code42 server, with the convenience of the cloud, with 24-hour proactive monitoring. Your Code42 SE can explain the benefits of a managed appliance, and help you decide if this is right for your organization.
If you choose to install the Code42 server software on your own hardware, it is often deployed on a virtual machine (VM), to take advantage of the flexibility, scalability, and disaster-recovery advantages of VMs.
Proper implementation of a VM solution, however, requires careful analysis, planning, and preparation, due to the nature of VM environments. Without proper planning and configuration, VMs can experience performance and resource issues that might not be expected compared to the performance of a similar "bare-metal" deployment installed directly on a physical server.
The Code42 server configurations to discuss with your SE include:
- Hardware requirements
- VM host and guest configurations
- Internal H2 database or external PostgreSQL
- Storage type/performance
- Storage capacity
- Host adapter performance
- RAID configuration
With the Code42 cloud or managed appliances, we configure these for you. Your Code42 SE can help you determine which Code42 server configuration is best for you.