Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This article applies to versions 6 and 7.
Other available versions:
Replacing a device tells the Code42 app to assume the ID of another device, swapping an old device with a new one in the Code42 environment. The new device continues backing up where the old one left off after:
- Reformatting or replacing a device's hard drive
- Moving to a new device (due to theft, loss, upgrade)
This article explains how to copy backed-up files from an old device onto a new device, then replace the old device.
- This article applies to administrators working in the administration console.
- This article does not apply if the administrator wants to transfer Windows user settings (USMT data) from one device to another.
For information about replacing an old device from the Code42 app or migrating USMT data, select the appropriate article from Use Code42 to simplify device migration.
- Administrators with Org Admin or SYSADMIN roles can replace a device from the administration console.
- Any archives associated with the new device before the replace are discarded. Only the archives from the old device remain.
Before you begin
- Install the Code42 app on the new device and target the user home directory for backup.
You should only use a new installation of the Code42 app when replacing a device.
Make sure that you first restore the old device's files to the new or reformatted device (step 1 of the instructions below). If you do not, then after replacement the Code42 app marks the missing files as deleted. You must then enable Display Deleted Files in order to restore files.
Replace a device from the administration console
To replace a device from the administration console, follow these steps:
- Device restore the user's files to the new device and move files from the restore folder to the original location.
- Navigate to the new device's device details.
- Click Devices.
- Select the new device.
- From the action menu, choose Replace a device. (For server version 6.7.3 and earlier, choose Adopt a computer.)
Available devices from within the user's account are displayed.
- Select the old device to replace.
- Click Replace. (For server version 6.7.3 and earlier, click Adopt).
The old device does not need to be online. It picks up the command the next time it connects to the Code42 server.
When the replacement is successful, the new Code42 app inherits the old device's backup archive and settings. In addition, the old device is deactivated and the user is signed out from that device.