Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This tutorial explains how to collect files from users on a legal hold (known as custodians). A separate article covers the creation and configuration of legal holds, as well as how to place custodians on a legal hold.
File collection from a legal hold may be part of a more general eDiscovery process, covered in our eDiscovery Integration Guide.
Our Zapproved partnership enables you to use Zapproved to manage your legal hold process. Learn more about how to integrate Code42 and Zapproved for eDiscovery.
- The target device must have the Code42 app installed to receive the collected files.
- To collect files, a custodian must be on a legal hold.
- A custodian's files are not available immediately. Allow time to back up the custodian's devices and data before collecting files. The time required depends on the size of the selection.
- The following user roles have permission to collect files from a legal hold:
- All Org Legal Admin (version 6.5.x and later in Code42 environments with an authority server)
- Legal Admin (version 6.0.x and earlier)
- Org Legal Admin (this role can only restore files for users within the administrator's organization and its child organizations)
- SYSADMIN (Code42 environments with an authority server only)
- A custodian's files cannot be collected if the user meets one or both of the following conditions:
The Legal Hold web app collects files by restoring files from a custodian's backup to the device you chose.
- Sign in to the Code42 administration console.
- Navigate to the Legal Hold web app.
- (Version 6.5.x and later) Choose Legal Hold in the left menu.
- (Version 6.0.x and earlier) From the application selector in the upper right, choose Legal Hold.
- Click the name of the matter you want to collect files from.
- Click Custodians.
- Click Get Files.
Get Files is not available if the custodian is outside your organization and its children organizations.
- If the user has more than one active device, choose a device.
- Choose the following parameters in the Web Restore dialog:
- Target device
You can only restore to active devices.
- Target path
The target path parameter can only be entered if the target device is online.
- (Optional) Restore files as of
If you do not fill in this field, the latest file versions are collected.
- Files to restore
- Narrow choices using the search field.
- Select files or folders to collect.
If you choose to collect a large number of files, preparing the files for restore may take several minutes.
- Target device
- Click Restore to start collecting files.
The Legal Hold web app downloads the files to the device and file path you chose.
The Legal Hold web app uses the same technology for file collection as the administration console uses for web restores. For more technical information on collecting files, please see the administration console web restore reference guide and tutorial.
Watch the short video below to learn how to use the Legal Hold web app to collect files for a legal hold. For more videos, visit the Code42 University.