- CrashPlan PRO
This tutorial explains how to collect files from users on a legal hold (known as custodians). A separate article covers the creation and configuration of legal holds, as well as how to place custodians on a legal hold.
File collection from a legal hold may be part of a more general e-discovery process, covered in our eDiscovery Integration Guide.
- The target device must have the Code42 app installed to receive the collected files.
- To collect files, a custodian must be on a legal hold.
- A custodian's files are not available immediately. Allow time to back up the custodian's devices and data before collecting files. The time required depends on the size of the selection.
- The following user roles have permission to collect files from a legal hold:
- Legal Admin
- If a user is in an organization that has Compliance Settings activated, that user's files cannot be collected.
The Legal Hold web app collects files by restoring files from a custodian's backup to the device you chose.
- Sign in to your authority server.
- From the app switcher in the upper-right, choose Legal Hold.
- Click the name of the matter you want to collect files from.
- Click Custodians.
- Click Get Files.
- If the user has more than one active device, choose a device.
- Choose the following parameters in the Web Restore dialog:
- Target device
You can only restore to active devices.
- Target path
The target path parameter can only be entered if the target device is online.
- (Optional) Restore files as of
If you do not fill in this field, the latest file versions are collected.
- Files to restore
- Narrow choices using the search field.
- Select files or folders to collect.
If you choose to collect a large number of files, preparing the files for restore may take several minutes.
- Target device
- Click Restore to start collecting files.
The Legal Hold web app downloads the files to the device and file path you chose.
The Legal Hold web app uses the same technology for file collection as the administration console uses for web restores. For more technical information on collecting files, please see the administration console web restore reference guide and tutorial.