Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This article applies to versions 6 and 7.
Other available versions:
The Client Visibility setting enables administrators to show or hide the Code42 app on user devices. The default setting is Visible, which keeps all user interface elements easily accessible to users. Setting Client Visibility to Hidden removes most user-facing indications of Code42's presence on the device.
- Requires Code42 server and Code42 app version 7.0.0 or later.
- Setting the visibility to Hidden does not uninstall any Code42 components. Security monitoring and file backups continue to run in the background.
- The Code42 app must be installed for all users. Per-user installations are not supported.
- If you deactivate a user in an organization where Client Visibility is set to Hidden and the Code42 app is still installed on a Windows device, the Code42 icon re-appears in the notification area (also referred to as the "tray app"). This is only an issue if the user is deactivated in Code42, but retains access to the device. To prevent the icon from appearing, uninstall the Code42 app before deactivating the user.
What is hidden?
What's hidden varies slightly different for each operating system, but in general, setting Client Visibility to Hidden removes user visibility of:
- The Code42 app
- Code42 app shortcuts
- The Code42 icon in the Windows notification area (tray) and Mac menu bar
If the Code42 app or the tray/menu bar app are open when an administrator changes the setting to Hidden, the apps close immediately.
- Removes Code42 app shortcuts from the Start menu.
- Prevents the Code42 app from appearing in the Add/Remove Programs section of the Control Panel.
- Prevents Code42 from appearing in the Start menu search.
- Removes the Code42 icon from the notification area (also referred to as the "tray app") and prevents it from auto-launching on restart.
- Makes the CrashPlan.app package a hidden file
- Removes the Code42 app icon from the Dock and Launchpad.
Note: Changing the setting from Visible to Hidden for devices with the Code42 app already installed restarts the Dock. This may cause the user's previously minimized windows to expand automatically when the Dock re-opens.
- Removes the Code42 app from the Applications folder.
- Removes the Code42 icon from the menu bar and prevents it from auto-launching on restart.
- Makes the Code42 app desktop shortcut a hidden file.
- Prevents the Code42 app from appearing in search and the Application Launcher interface.
What is still visible?
Setting Client Visibility to Hidden does not remove Code42 from:
- Processes or services in Task Manager (Windows) and Activity Monitor (Mac)
- Windows Explorer and Spotlight (Mac) searches
In addition, no Code42 components are removed, so security monitoring and file backups continue to run in the background. This also means that if a user has the necessary permissions to find and open the Code42 install directory, the user can access the Code42 app.
To control the visibility of the Code42 app user interface on user devices:
- Sign in to the administration console.
- Navigate to the organization settings:
- To update all organizations, select Settings > Organization.
- To update a single organization:
- Select Organizations > Active.
- Select an organization.
- From the action menu in the upper-right, select Edit.
- Select the Security tab and scroll to the Client Visibility section.
- Select Visible or Hidden.
- Visible: All user interface elements are easily accessible to users.
- Hidden: User interface elements are hidden by default, but the background service continues to monitor the device.
- (Recommended) Click the lock icon to:
- Apply the setting to all child organizations
- Prevent child organizations from changing this setting
Note: The Inherit settings from parent options on this screen do not apply to the Client Visibility setting.
- Click Save.
If you want to use a different Client Visibility setting in a child organization, you must follow the steps above for all child organizations to ensure it uses your preferred setting. If you plan to use the same setting in all child organizations, click the lock icon in the parent organization.