Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Enterprise, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to on-premises authority servers.
Other available versions:
You can use Zapproved's CloudPreserve to preserve data in Code42. This article explains how to configure your Code42 environment to enable this integration. Once you connect the two applications, your legal team will be able to:
- Preserve data on a custodian's computer using Code42's continuous backup
- Create a complete audit trail of all preservation and collection activities
- The Code42 SYSADMIN role is required to perform these steps.
- This integration requires Code42 server version 6.0.x or later and a private authority server.
- A Legal Hold Pro and CloudPreserve license is required. Contact Zapproved for more information about purchasing licenses.
Our Customer Champions can help with issues caused by Code42. However, we cannot provide technical support for Zapproved's Legal Hold Pro. Contact Zapproved for help with Legal Hold Pro.
How to integrate Code42 with Zapproved
Step 1: Create a Code42 authorizing user account
- Sign in to the Code42 Code42 console.
- (Versions 6.5.x and later) Select Users > Active from the menu on the left.
(In versions 6.0.x) Select Users.
- Select Add a new user .
- Select Add Users.
- Select an organization for the new user.
- Enter the user's first name, last name, email address, and password.
- Select Add User.
The user appears in the Code42 console.
- Choose the user you just created.
- From the action menu, select Edit.
- Select the Roles tab.
- From the Available Roles list, select All Org Legal Admin.
- Click the right facing arrow to the All Org Legal Admin role.
- Select Update User to save your changes.
- Note this user's credentials. You will use this user for the authorizing Code42 account in Legal Hold Pro.
Step 2: Configure CloudPreserve in Zapproved
Sign in to Zapproved's Legal Hold Pro dashboard to configure CloudPreserve with Code42. For more information on how to use CloudPreserve to preserve data in Code42, see Zapproved's Legal Hold Pro documentation (you must be signed in to view the documentation).
Once you have connected the two apps, Legal Hold Pro and Code42 automatically:
- Create a default preservation policy in the Code42 Legal Hold web app
- Create Code42 matters to correspond with each Code42 preservation created in Legal Hold Pro
- Apply the default preservation policy to each matter
(Optional) Edit the preservation policy in Code42
By default, the automatically-created preservation policy places all of the files on a custodian's computer into legal hold and preserves all deleted files. You can edit this preservation policy to add file type exclusions, or change how frequently file changes are backed up.
Process a custodian's data
To process a custodian's Code42 backup data, follow the steps below to download the custodian's files from Code42s matter and then upload the Code42 backup data to Zapproved's Digital Discovery Pro.
- Sign in to the Code42 console.
- Navigate to the Legal Hold web app.
- (Version 6.5.x and later) Choose Legal Hold in the left navigation menu.
- (Version 6.0.x and earlier) From the application selector in the upper right, choose Legal Hold.
- Click the matter associated with the custodian.
- Click Custodians.
- Click Get Files.
- If the user has more than one device, choose a device.
- Choose the following parameters in the Web Restore dialog:
- Target device
Choose a device you have access to. This is where Code42 downloads the files.
- Target location
- Target Path
Specify a file path on the device for the restore.
- Original Location
Specify that the files should be restored to their original location on the device.
- Target Path
(Appears only if you select Target Path). The target path parameter can only be entered if the target device is online.
- (Optional) Restore files as of
If you do not fill in this field, the latest file versions are collected.
- Files to restore
- (Optional) Enable Display deleted files
- Narrow choices using the search field.
- Select files or folders to collect.
If you choose to collect a large number of files, preparing the files for restore may take several minutes.
- Target device
- Click Restore to start collecting files.
The Legal Hold web app downloads the files to the device and file path you chose.
- Upload the files to Zapproved's Digital Discovery Pro for review.