Syslog servers are commonly used to aggregate, monitor, and visualize log information from a variety of sources in your environment. For example, you can use Splunk to interact with your Code42 environment log data, as well as tools like Kibana or Graylog.
Your Code42 servers can send log data to a syslog server. This article describes how to enable syslog logging in your Code42 environment.
There are two parts to configuring syslog for your Code42 environment logs:
- Configuring syslog communications for your Code42 servers
- Configuring syslog for each log
By default, syslog-enabled logs remain on the local Code42 server. Optionally, send logs to a remote syslog server by configuring the system properties for syslog's
|Syslog System Property||Default Value||Purpose|
||The hostname or IP address of your syslog server|
||The facility keyword for syslog data|
Individual log configuration
Each Code42 server stores operational information in several different logs. Each log can use either syslog or basic, local logging. Configure the type of logging behavior using system properties.
|Code42 environment Log||Purpose|
Detailed records of all Code42 server activity and backup activity
High-level events, such as:
Records of Code42 API requests and web requests to the Code42 console
Actions taken by the server engine
(Version 7.0 and later)
Events such as:
Before you begin
These steps assume that you already have an operating syslog server. For assistance with setting up a syslog server:
The example commands shown here apply to all your Code42 servers. For more information on configuring system properties, including alternative parameters that target individual Code42 servers, refer to Code42 console command-line interface.
- Sign in to your Code42 console.
- Double-click the Code42 logo to open the Code42 console command-line interface.
- Enter the following commands, adapted to your syslog configuration, to configure syslog communication:
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.host localhost save all prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.facility LOCAL0 save all
- Enter the following commands to enable syslog for each log.
falseto disable syslog for each log.
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.root.enabled true save all
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.history.enabled true save all
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.request.enabled true save all
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.stats.enabled true save all
- support_event.log (Version 7.0 and later)
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.stats.supportevent true save all
- Restart all Code42 servers in your Code42 environment.
- Navigate to Storage > Servers in the Code42 console.
- For each Code42 server:
- Select the Code42 server to view its details.
- Click action menu > Restart Server to immediately restart the Code42 server.