Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Enterprise, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, yes.
This article applies to on-premises authority server version 5.
Note: This server version is no longer supported.
This article describes how to upgrade the Code42 servers in your Code42 environment from version 4.3.5.x (4.3.5, 184.108.40.206, and 220.127.116.11) to version 5.0.3, and to perform associated CrashPlan app upgrades.
If your master server is a Code42 managed appliance, our Customer Champions work with you to upgrade your Code42 environment. Do not attempt to upgrade your environment on your own.
Affected Code42 Platform components
The upgrade from version 4.3.5.x to 5.0.3 includes changes to the following components. View Code42 platform version 5.0.3 release notes for details.
Code42 server version 5.0.3 is compatible with the following components.
|SharePlan mobile app||
* Indicates this version is bundled with Code42 server version 5.0.3
All storage servers in your Code42 environment must use the same Code42 server software version as your master server.
Considerations for upgrading to version 5.0.3
Code42 server renamed to Code42 server
Beginning with version 5.0, the Code42 server component of the Code42 platform has been renamed to Code42 server.
Changes to Code42 server requirements
Code42 server version 5.0 introduces the following changes to the host server requirements.
Supported Code42 server operating systems
Supported operating systems for the Code42 server have changed from version 4.x to 5.0:
- Windows: Only Windows Server operating systems (such as Windows Server 2012 R2) are supported for Code42 servers.
- OS X: Only OS X Mavericks v10.9 and later are supported for Code42 servers.
See Code42 server hardware and software recommendations for details.
Minimum Oracle Java version
Code42 server version 5.0 requires Oracle Java 7 or later to run. Depending on your host server operating system, you may need to update Oracle Java on your Code42 servers (as described in the upgrade instructions below) before upgrading to version 5.0.3.
Upgrading CrashPlan devices
Code42 server version 5.0.3 includes two versions of the CrashPlan app:
- CrashPlan app version 4.4.3 introduces fixes and enhancements.
- CrashPlan app version 5.0.3 is a major software release that includes a new user interface, revised system requirements, and modified features.
Upgrading devices to CrashPlan app version 4.4.3
Your CrashPlan app devices upgrade to version 4.4.3 of the CrashPlan app by default when you enable device upgrades as described in the upgrade instructions below.
If you modified the CrashPlan app's text or images in version 4.2.x or earlier, there is a known issue that causes these modifications to be lost on Windows devices that upgrade to version 4.4.3 of the CrashPlan app. If possible, we recommend waiting to upgrade Windows devices in your Code42 environment until this is corrected in a future release.
Upgrading devices to CrashPlan app version 5.0.3
Optionally, you can configure each organization in your Code42 environment to upgrade to version 5.0.3 of the CrashPlan app as described in the upgrade instructions below.
- Review our User's guide to Code42 CrashPlan app version 5.0.x to understand how the changes will impact your users.
- Review our Administrator's guide to Code42 CrashPlan app version 5.0.x to understand how the changes will impact how you manage devices in your Code42 environment.
If you have any questions about upgrading your Code42 environment, or if you need assistance troubleshooting the upgrade, contact our Customer Champions.
Step 1: Update Oracle Java for your Code42 Servers
Code42 server version 5.0.3 requires Oracle Java 7 or later to run. If your Code42 servers use Oracle Java 6, you must install Oracle Java 8 (recommended) or Oracle Java 7 before upgrading to Code42 server version 5.0.3.
Based on your host server operating system, take the appropriate action:
- When you originally installed the Code42 server software, if you allowed the Code42 server installer to download and install Oracle Java for you, no action is needed. The upgrade process automatically updates Oracle Java.
- If you installed Oracle Java manually, install Oracle Java 8 (recommended) or Oracle Java 7 before upgrading to Code42 server version 5.0.3.
- Windows: No action required. The Code42 server software installer for Windows includes a bundled version of Java. The upgrade process automatically updates bundled Java to version 7.
- OS X: Install Oracle Java Development Kit (JDK) 8 (recommended) or JDK 7 before upgrading to Code42 server version 5.0.3.
Step 2: Download the upgrade file
Download the upgrade file for your server operating system. If your Code42 environment has Code42 servers running on different operating systems, download the upgrade file for each operating system:
Step 3: Upgrade your Code42 Servers
Follow our instructions to upgrade the Code42 servers in your Code42 environment: