- Code42 CrashPlan (previously CrashPlan PROe)
The most efficient method for deploying the Code42 CrashPlan mobile app on many devices is to use a mobile device management (MDM) solution, such as AirWatch. This article shows you how to use AirWatch to deploy the CrashPlan mobile app.
Information about products from other manufacturers is intended as a resource to help you get the most out of Code42 products. However, our Customer Champions cannot provide direct assistance for these products. For assistance with products not developed by Code42, contact the product's manufacturer.
This process was tested in AirWatch version 7.1.
This process installs the public app store version of the CrashPlan mobile app. If you want to customize your deployment further, work with your Code42 systems engineer.
Before you begin
You must have an AirWatch account set up before you can deploy the CrashPlan mobile app.
If your devices are already enrolled in AirWatch, you can deploy the CrashPlan mobile app to them immediately via an AirWatch Smart Group. Alternatively, you can use an AirWatch Smart Group to configure the CrashPlan mobile app deployment, then add your devices to it later. Your devices will receive the configured deployment when they are enrolled.
Refer to the AirWatch Knowledgebase (requires AirWatch login) for general guidelines on deploying apps with AirWatch.
Step 1: Use AirWatch to install the CrashPlan mobile app
- Sign in to your AirWatch dashboard using your AirWatch credentials
- Go to Apps & Books on the left sidebar
- Select the Public tab
- Choose + Add Application to select the CrashPlan mobile app for your AirWatch environment
- Select your platform (Android, iOS, or Windows Phone versions)
If you are deploying to multiple platforms, repeat this process for each platform
- Enter CrashPlan PROe into the Name field
- Click Next to search for the CrashPlan mobile app in your platform's app store
- Click + Select for the CrashPlan mobile app
- (Optional) Customize the AirWatch descriptive fields
- Go to Assignment to choose which AirWatch Smart Groups will receive the CrashPlan mobile app deployment
- Assign the CrashPlan mobile app to your AirWatch-managed devices
- Go to Deployment to choose how and when your managed devices will receive the CrashPlan mobile app
- Select deployment options for your environment
- Click Save & Publish
AirWatch prompts you to View Device Assignment for this app
- Click Publish to install the CrashPlan mobile app to the assigned device groups
Step 2: Users sign in to the CrashPlan mobile app
After the CrashPlan mobile app is installed on devices, users must either:
- Create a CrashPlan account or
- Sign in to the CrashPlan mobile app with their existing CrashPlan credentials
For more information on what your users see when opening the CrashPlan mobile app for the first time, refer to our CrashPlan mobile app Guide.
Step 3: View devices in your administration console
After users sign in to the CrashPlan mobile app on their devices, you can view them in the Code42 environment administration console to confirm that managed devices are connecting to your Code42 environment.
Now that you've installed the CrashPlan mobile app on your organizations' managed devices using AirWatch, provide your users with everything they need to know about CrashPlan:
- For users new to the CrashPlan mobile app, refer to our CrashPlan mobile app guide.
- For more details about CrashPlan, take a look through our Get started guide.
For more information on the powerful management options available within AirWatch, check out the AirWatch Knowledgebase (requires AirWatch login).