Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
Adopting a device tells the Code42 app to assume the device ID of another device, thus replacing an old device with a new one in the Code42 environment. Adoption allows the replacement device to continue backing up where the old one left off. Adoption is called for after:
- Reformatting or replacing a device's hard drive
- Moving to a new device (due to theft, loss, upgrade)
This article explains copying backed-up files from a previous device onto a new device, then adopting the new device.
- This article applies to administrators working in the administration console.
- This article does not apply if the administrator wants to transfer Windows user settings (USMT data) from one device to another.
For information about adopting a new device from a CrashPlan app or migrating USMT data, select the appropriate article from Use Code42 to simplify device migration.
- Administrators with Org Admin or SYSADMIN roles can adopt from the administration console.
- Any archives associated with the new device before the adoption are discarded. Only the archives from the previous device remain.
Before you begin
- Install the CrashPlan app on the new device and target the user home directory for backup.
You should only use a new installation of the CrashPlan app when adopting a device.
Make sure that you first restore the old device's files to the new or reformatted device (step 1 of the instructions below). If you do not, then after adoption the CrashPlan app marks the missing files as deleted. You must then enable Display Deleted Files in order to restore files.
Adopt from the administration console
To adopt a device as an administrator from the administration console, follow these steps:
- Device restore the user's files to the new device and move files from the restore folder to the original location.
- Sign in to the administration console as an administrator.
- Navigate to the new device's device details.
- Click Devices.
- Select the new device.
- From the action menu, choose Adopt a Computer.
Available devices from within the user's account are displayed.
- Select the old device to adopt.
- Click Adopt.
The old device does not need to be online. It picks up the command the next time it connects to the Code42 server.
When the adoption is successful, the new CrashPlan app install inherits the adopted device's backup archive and settings. In addition, the old device is deactivated and the user is signed out from that device.