- Code42 CrashPlan (previously CrashPlan PROe)
When a device must be replaced and its files are to be adopted by a new device, users can either perform the process themselves, or an administrator can perform the process for them. This tutorial explains how an administrator can perform the adoption process from the Code42 administration console. For directions about how users can perform the adoption process themselves from the CrashPlan app, see Replacing Your Device.
Adopting a device tells the Code42 CrashPlan app to assume the device ID of another device. The CrashPlan app uses the settings, backup file selection, and backup archives of the device that you adopt. Adopting allows you to resume backing up from where you left off after:
- Reformatting or replacing a device's hard drive
- Moving to a new device (due to theft, loss, upgrade)
For an introduction to replacing devices, see Using Code42 CrashPlan To Simplify Device Replacement.
- Administrators with the SYSADMIN or Org Admin roles can adopt from the administration console.
- You should only use a new installation of the CrashPlan app when adopting a device.
- Any archives associated with the device that adopts another archive are deleted.
Make sure that you first move or restore the old device's files to the new or reformatted device.
If files are not moved to the device or restored to the computer before adopting, the CrashPlan app may mark the files as deleted. You must then enable Display Deleted Files in order to restore files.
Prepare a Windows device for adoption
For Windows devices, follow these general steps to migrate Windows user profiles:
- Ensure that CrashPlan is fully backed up on the old device, including the Windows profile.
- On the new device, include USMT (but do not install CrashPlan yet).
- Restore the Windows profile (MIG) and place it on the new device.
- On the new device, create the user and apply the Windows profile using USMT LoadState.
After migrating Windows user profiles, you are ready to adopt from the administration console.
Adopt from the administration console
To adopt a device as an administrator from the administration console, follow these steps:
- Install the CrashPlan app on the new device and target the user home directory for backup.
- Device restore the user's files to the new device and move files from the restore folder to the original location.
- Sign in to the administration console as an administrator.
- Navigate to the new device's device details.
- Click Devices.
- Select the new device.
- From the action menu, choose Adopt a Computer.
Available devices from within the user's account are displayed.
- Select the old device to adopt.
- Click Adopt.
The old device does not need to be online. It picks up the command the next time it connects to the Code42 server.
When the adoption is successful, the new CrashPlan app install inherits the adopted device's backup archive and settings. In addition, the old device is deactivated and the user is deauthorized on that device.