Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This tutorial explains how to collect files from users on a legal hold (known as custodians). A separate article covers the creation and configuration of legal holds, as well as how to place custodians on a legal hold.
File collection from a legal hold may be part of a more general eDiscovery process, covered in our eDiscovery Integration Guide.
- The Legal Hold web app requires a target device with the Code42 CrashPlan app installed to receive the collected files.
- To collect files, a custodian must be on a legal hold.
- A custodian's files are not available immediately. Allow time to back up the custodian's devices and data before collecting files. The time required depends on the size of the selection.
- The following user roles have permission to collect files from a legal hold:
- Legal Admin
- A custodian's files cannot be collected if the user meets one or both of the following conditions:
- Sign in to your master server.
- From the app switcher in the upper right, choose Legal Hold.
- Click the name of the legal hold you want to collect files from.
- Click Custodians.
- Click Get Files.
- Choose the following parameters in the Web Restore dialog:
- Target device
- Target path
The target path parameter can only be entered if the target device is online.
- (Optional) Restore files as of
If you do not fill in this field, the latest file versions will be collected.
- Files to restore
- Narrow choices using the search field.
- Select files or folders to collect.
- Click Restore to start collecting files.
The files are restored to the device and file path you chose.