Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This tutorial explains how to collect files from users on a legal hold (known as custodians). A separate article covers the creation and configuration of legal holds, as well as how to place custodians on a legal hold.
File collection from a legal hold may be part of a more general eDiscovery process, covered in our eDiscovery Integration Guide.
- The Legal Hold web app requires a target device with the Code42 CrashPlan app installed to receive the collected files.
- To collect files, a custodian must be on a legal hold.
- A custodian's files are not available immediately. Allow time to back up the custodian's devices and data before collecting files. The time required depends on the size of the selection.
- The following user roles have permission to collect files from a legal hold:
- Legal Admin
- A custodian's files cannot be collected if the user meets one or both of the following conditions:
- Sign in to your master server.
- From the app switcher in the upper right, choose Legal Hold.
- Click the name of the legal hold you want to collect files from.
- Click Custodians.
- Click Get Files.
- Choose the following parameters in the Web Restore dialog:
- Target device
- Target path
The target path parameter can only be entered if the target device is online.
- (Optional) Restore files as of
If you do not fill in this field, the latest file versions will be collected.
- Files to restore
- Narrow choices using the search field.
- Select files or folders to collect.
- Click Restore to start collecting files.
The files are restored to the device and file path you chose.
The Legal Hold web app uses the same technology for file collection as the administration console uses for web restores. For more technical information on collecting files, please see the administration console web restore reference guide and tutorial.