The administration console includes many ways to exclude files from being backed up. Each setting applies to different backup archives or group of users. Certain file exclusion settings apply to preservation policies, which are used in legal holds. This article explains how to configure file exclusions in your Code42 environment so that the exclusions do not also apply to legal holds.
Filename exclusions added under the Global Exclusions in the administration console also apply to all preservation policies. This means that those files will not be kept under legal hold.
For more flexibility around which files are excluded for users under legal hold, add file exclusions under the Device Default Settings or at the organization level. These file exclusions do not automatically apply to preservation policies.
Before you begin
The steps below describe where to find the correct settings in your Code42 environment. However, there are several ways to use these settings to specify which files and folders are excluded from backup archives, but not legal holds:
- Use substitution variables
- Specify filename patterns using wildcards
- Specify file extensions to exclude
- Use regular expressions
Learn more about how to use these methods to include and exclude files.
Exclude files under Device Default Settings
Use this option if:
- You have already set global exclusions
- You want to make sure that a certain file type is excluded from all backups
- Sign in to the administration console.
- (Optional) Export your global exclusions.
- Click Settings.
- Select Device Backup.
- Select General.
- Under Global Exclusions, choose Export.
- Copy the export string and save in a .txt file.
- Click the Backup tab.
- Browse to Filename Exclusions.
- Importing exclusions: If you exported global exclusions to a .txt file, click Import. Paste the exclusions you saved.
- Add new exclusions: Enter a filename pattern, or enter text in the form of a regular expression (regex) to exclude from backup.
- Click General, browse to Global Exclusions, and remove all exclusions.