Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional and Enterprise, no.
Incydr Basic and Advanced, no.
CrashPlan Cloud, no.
Other product plans, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to on-premises authority server version 5.
Note: This server version is no longer supported.
The Code42 console is the browser-based environment you use to view, manage, monitor, and configure your Code42 environment. This tutorial walks through the basics of the Code42 console.
Access the Code42 console
CrashPlan for Small Business
The Code42 console dashboard appears when you sign in, which displays information about backup status, users, devices, settings, and licensing.
Code42 CrashPlan (previously CrashPlan PROe)
To access the Code42 console, point a supported web browser to your server's hostname or IP address on port 4285. For example:
When you launch the Code42 console, the dashboard displays information about backup status, licensing, storage, devices, and users.
The content and options displayed in the Code42 console are determined by the user role of the signed-in user. An administrator is allowed full access to configure all aspects of the Code42 environment, while end users only receive access to settings related directly to their individual devices and accounts.
Code42 console basics
Menus & general navigation
- At the top of the screen, the toolbar allows you to change appearance and language settings.
- The navigation menu on the left contains links for viewing and managing the different components of your Code42 environment.
- Action menus display contextual actions and options.
- Keyboard shortcuts are available for many of the menu items and actions in the Code42 console. Type
?while viewing the Code42 console to display a list of keyboard shortcuts.
Columns & lists
- Sort any column by clicking the column title.
- Column widths are adjustable, and the width settings are remembered across sessions.
- To reset default column widths, double-click the heading above the columns (e.g., "User Overview").
- Real-time scrolling dynamically loads data as you scroll through the data set, making it easy to manage large lists.
Code42 console toolbar
|a||Application Selector||Displays Code42 web applications available to the signed in user. Administration displays the Code42 console.|
|b||My Profile Menu||Provides links for context-sensitive help and options for customizing the Code42 console language and appearance.|
|Support||Links to the product documentation. The link destination is context sensitive and changes based on the screen you are currently viewing.|
Specifies the locale you'd like the Code42 console to display. This sets the displayed language and date format. When you specify a locale from the toolbar, the chosen locale is set via a cookie within your current browser. View available locales.
Code42 server version 5.2.x and earlier only
|Switches between dark and light themes.|
|Code42.com||Links to the Code42 website.|
|Log out||Signs the current user out of the Code42 console.|
The navigation menu on the left provides access to settings for all components of your Code42 environment. Click any link in the table below to learn more about a specific component.
The navigation menu for Code42 CrashPlan (previously CrashPlan PROe) is shown on the left. The navigation menu to CrashPlan for Small Business is shown on the right.
Enter text to search for users, devices, organizations, servers, destinations, and plans in your Code42 environment. You can enter a full or partial first or last name, email address, device guid, device name, or organization name (enterprise only).
Matching results appear below the search text box. Click any result to view the relevant details.
|Dashboard||Displays high-level summary information about backup status, licensing, storage, and users.|
|View and manage system alerts.|
|Organizations are the Code42 environment's way of grouping users. You can configure different organizations to use different settings, different backup destinations, or even use different LDAP servers to authenticate users.|
|Users||Manage users, their devices, add new users, and manage roles.|
|Devices||View all devices and manage device details and settings.|
(Version 5.3 and later)
|Manage the CrashPlan app versions that are available for download from your Code42 server.|
|View and manage all storage destinations in your Code42 environment. Add new destinations, view storage data, edit data balancing settings, and manage archives.|
Access the different components to configure within Settings.
|View your registration key, current license status (days remaining, number of licenses), and purchase additional licenses.|
|View your license key, backup plan details (computers/storage allowed), current license status (days remaining), number of devices, amount stored, and purchase additional licenses.|
|My Profile||Displays summary information about your backup, restores and the location of your devices. The action menu contains commands to edit your profile and view deactivated devices.|
1 Code42 CrashPlan (previously CrashPlan PROe) only
2 CrashPlan for Small Business only
Settings in the Code42 console
For settings in the Code42 console that impact user devices, there are three options for applying settings: save, push, and lock.
- Saving a setting applies it for new devices in the future. Saving settings does not affect any existing devices.
- Pushing a setting changes it on user devices, but still allows users to change the setting later.
- Locking a setting pushes it out to user devices and also prevents users from changing the setting later.
|Applies changes to future devices||Applies changes to existing devices||Allows users to change settings|
Your Code42 environment can hold many organizations, and each organization (called parent organizations) can contain other organizations (called child organizations). Each organization, visible in the Code42 console at Organizations, is also a child organization of the system-wide organization at Settings > Organization. By default, each new organization inherits the settings of its parent organization.
From the action menu, select Edit to enable or disable inheritance for an organization.
- When you disable inheritance for an organization, that organization (and any child organizations belonging to that organization) will not receive existing or new settings from the parent organization.
- All newly-created organizations inherit all settings from their parent organizations by default.
- Inheritance can be enabled or disabled for groups of settings, such as settings for Destinations, Sharing, Security, and so on.
- If you re-enable inheritance for an organization, any unique settings are lost and replaced by the parent organization's settings when you click Save.
- Depending on the settings you have configured in your own Code42 environment, enabling or disabling inheritance can apply settings that may lead to data loss, such as disk quotas or cold storage settings.
Command line interface
Code42 CrashPlan (previously CrashPlan PROe) only
In addition to the graphical user interface of the Code42 console, you can also interact with your Code42 environment through a command-line interface (CLI). To access the command-line interface:
- Double-click the logo in the upper left corner.
The command-line interface appears.
- Enter commands at the top of the command-line interface. Output can be reviewed below.
See the Command Line Interface Overview for additional details and a complete list of available commands.
Command-line interface for CrashPlan devices
Use the Code42 console device command line to send commands to CrashPlan devices that are currently online.
To open the Code42 console command-line interface for CrashPlan devices:
- Locate the device in the Code42 console.
- Click the device to view its details.
- Double-click the operating system icon next to the device's name.
The Code42 console can send any command that is available within the CrashPlan app.
The Code42 console is available in the following languages:
|Chinese Traditional||中文 - 台灣|
|English (United Kingdom)||English (United Kingdom)|
|English (United States)||English (United States)|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Português (Brasil)|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Español (América Latina)|
|Spanish (Spain)||Español (España)|