Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This article explains how to interpret the following alert, and how to respond to the alert.
The table below displays where the alert appears and where it can be configured. The alert text is different on the configuration page than on the alerts page or email.
|Destination is offline: destination name||Email and Alerts Overview of the administration console|
|Destination is offline||Settings > Notifications of the administration console|
This alert indicates a problem that could seriously affect your Code42 environment's security, result in data loss, or cause the service to be unavailable.
Destinations can go offline for a number of reasons:
- A storage server within the destination could be offline
- An administrator may have set the storage servers within a destination to offline status
- Network issues may be interfering with communication between the master server and storage servers
- DNS issues
- Hardware failure
Many of the possible causes of an offline destination reside outside the Code42 environment. Verify that your hardware and network are operating normally.
- Users unable to back up
- Users unable to restore
- Users unable to sync files and folders in SharePlan
Before you begin
Confirm that destination is still offline
In some cases, a temporary network issue or other temporary condition may have resolved itself. You should visually verify that the destination is still offline by navigating to Destinations > Overview.
The affected destination will be identified by a red status indicator in the online column.
Note that the Code42 secure public cloud does not show any colored status indicator. This is normal and does not indicate that the destination is offline.
To resolve this alert:
Step 1: Ping and telnet tests
- Verify that the storage servers are online and reachable from the master server by pinging the servers from the master server command line. If the ping test fails, verify:
- the storage server is powered on
- datacenter power is up
- datacenter networking is up
- the storage server has not suffered a software or hardware failure
- Telnet from the master server to ports 4280, 4282, and 4285 (by default) of the storage servers . If the telnet test fails:
- Verify that the enterprise server process is running on the storage servers
- Restart the enterprise server process
Step 2: Check primary and secondary network addresses of Master server
If the network addresses of the master server as configured in the administration console have changed to incorrect values, storage servers could lose the ability to communicate with the master server.
- Go to Settings > Server.
- Check primary and secondary network addresses
- Change incorrect values to correct values for IP address or FQDN (fully qualified domain name)
Step 3: Check networking settings of Enterprise Servers
Changes to the network configuration of the operating systems of the master server or storage servers could also prevent communication within a destination. Verify the network interface settings for all involved enterprise servers.
Step 4: Are all Storage servers online and functional?
Verify that all storage servers are online:
- Go to the Server Overview at Destinations>Servers
- Look for storage servers that are offline
Follow the steps for resolving a Server offline alert for all offline storage servers within the destination.
Confirm problem is resolved
Navigate to Destinations > Overview, and verify that the affected destination is now online by its status in the Online column:
Once you have confirmed that the problem has been resolved, acknowledge the alert:
- Go to the Alerts Overview
- Click the Destination is offline checkbox
- From the action menu, choose Acknowledge
Acknowledge the alert
The alert will continue to appear on the Alerts Overview window in the administration console until you acknowledge the alert. To acknowledge the alert, go to Alerts, select the alerts you want to acknowledge, and choose Acknowledge from the action menu.