You can install the SharePlan mobile app on your environment's mobile devices either by user self-service or with a mobile device management (MDM) solution. This tutorial explains different options for distributing the SharePlan mobile app to your users' iOS and Android mobile devices.
Before you begin
- Notify users of the the SharePlan system requirements for mobile devices
- A MDM solution is not required to distribute SharePlan, but it can streamline the process. While this guide mentions several options, there are many other MDM providers than those listed here.
- The SharePlan mobile app from the app store cannot be installed on a device that has a version of the SharePlan mobile app from another source.
Planning your deployment: Manual or managed
Both the manual and managed approaches have advantages in different situations.
|Size||Best for small deployments||Best for large deployments|
|Initial Configuration||Easier to set up from scratch||More complex to initially configure|
|Scaling||Harder to scale up to large distribution||Easy to scale from small to large distributions|
|Control||Limited control of access/installation rights||Detailed controls for access/installation rights|
If you don't have a mobile device management solution, your users can download and install the SharePlan mobile app from the app stores on their devices.
The general procedure for a manual distribution is:
- Administrators provide connection information to your organization's SharePlan server
- Users download the package from their device's app store
- Users install the package
- Users enter connection details provided by administrators
Link from Administration console
Rather than searching the app store, users can also locate the SharePlan mobile app by signing in to the administration console on their devices.
If you have already set up a mobile device management (MDM) solution, you can use it to streamline the process of deploying the SharePlan mobile app to a large number of devices.
The general procedure for a managed distribution is:
- Administrators configure the MDM platform for their environment's devices
- Administrators configure an automated task on the MDM platform to install the SharePlan mobile app
- MDM platform installs the package on users' devices without administrator intervention
Many MDM providers are capable of managing the deployment of the SharePlan mobile app, not just those listed here.
Information about products from other manufacturers is intended as a resource to help you get the most out of Code42 products. However, our Customer Champions cannot provide direct assistance for these products. For assistance with products not developed by Code42, contact the product's manufacturer.
AirWatch by VMware offers MDM services for both Android and iOS mobile devices. You can use AirWatch to upload the installation file and deploy the SharePlan mobile app to your devices.
For more information about using AirWatch to deploy the SharePlan mobile app, refer to our guide to Deploying The SharePlan Mobile App Using AirWatch or AirWatch's application management documentation.
Casper Suite, from JAMF software, manages only iOS mobile devices. Casper can deploy the SharePlan mobile app or offer users the ability to "opt in" to the SharePlan mobile app with its Self Service feature.
For more information about using Casper Suite to deploy apps, refer to Casper's guide to managing mobile devices.
Cisco's Meraki offers Systems Manager, which manages both computers and mobile devices, including Android and iOS devices. Simply upload the installation file and use Systems Manager to deploy the SharePlan mobile app to your devices.
For more information about using Cisco Meraki Systems Manager to deploy apps, refer to the Systems Manager documentation.
After installing the SharePlan mobile app on your organization's devices, provide your users with everything they need to know about SharePlan: