Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This article applies to version 4.
The Base URL for shared links setting in the administration console gives you the ability to tailor your shared links to your network environment and security needs.
This setting leverages networking and DNS to create highly flexible options to manage shared link traffic in your environment. For example, you can configure the base URL to:
- Configure shared links to work with your load balancer
- Mask the number and location of your destinations
- Separate link redemption traffic from outside your network and link redemption traffic from inside your network
Components of a shared link
A shared link URL is made up of two components: a base URL that identifies the server, and a token that identifies the file or folder being shared. The base URL contains a protocol (https:// or http://), a hostname or IP address, and a port (4285 for https or 4280 for http).
|Base URL|| |
How shared link redemption works
A shared link references a specific file or folder stored in a SharePlan archive. This archive is stored on a store point in each offered destination. When a user accesses a shared link, a request is sent for the file represented by the unique token. When an enterprise server receives that request, it attempts to serve the file to the user. If the enterprise server doesn’t contain the store point with that file, it redirects the request to an enterprise server that does have the file.
Shared links cannot be redirected between your private cloud and the Code42 public cloud. This is only a concern if no available enterprise servers in your private cloud destinations have the file referenced by a shared link. For example, if you try to access a shared link that points to your private cloud while all enterprise servers that store the file are unavailable, link redemption fails even if the Code42 public cloud contains the file.
Base URL configuration options
There are several configuration options for the base URL.
- Unconfigured: Shared links use the website protocol, host, and port of the enterprise server that stored the file or folder when the shared link was created. That enterprise server performs link redemption.
- Load-balanced DNS name: Shared links use the specified DNS name. An external load-balancer or round-robin DNS directs link redemption requests to any enterprise server in the Code42 environment, which performs link redemption.
- Host name of the master server: Shared links use the host name of the master server, which performs link redemption.
- IP address of the master server: Shared links use the IP address of the master server, which performs link redemption.
Comparison of base URL configuration options
The following table summarizes the behavior, advantages, and disadvantages of each option.
|Unconfigured (default)||Requires minimal configuration|| |
|Load-balanced DNS name|| || |
|Host name of master server|| || |
|IP address of master server|| || |
Base URL configuration recommendations
The base URL configuration that is best for your Code42 environment depends on your deployment type and network configuration.
|Multi-server deployment that can perform load-balancing for a DNS name||Load-balanced DNS name|
|Multi-server deployment that cannot perform load-balancing for a DNS name||Host name of master server (or unique DNS name that resolves to the master server)|
|Single-server deployment with DNS infrastructure||Host name of master server (or unique DNS name that resolves to the master server)|
|Single-server deployment with no DNS infrastructure||Unconfigured|
Configure the base URL
The base URL for shared links applies to your entire Code42 environment and can only be configured via the administration console on your master server.
Before you begin
- Configure your network (both internal and external) to respond to requests for the base URL you intend to set.
- If you chose the load-balanced DNS name option, make sure your load balancer or DNS configuration directs link redemption requests to all enterprise servers that have store points.
- Sign in to the administration console on your master server.
- Select Settings > Server.
- In the Sharing section, enter a protocol, host, and port.
- To create the base URL, combine a host with the protocol (http or https) and port (4280 or 4285) configured for the Website protocol, host and port.
- Use port 4285 for https. For example: https://<share.example.com>:4285
- Use port 4280 for http. For example: http://<share.example.com>:4280
- Click Save.
If you have questions or need additional assistance configuring the base URL for secure link sharing, please contact sales about engaging Code42's PRO Services team.