Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
In version 4.3 and later of the enterprise server, your enterprise servers can send log data to a syslog server. Syslog servers are commonly used to aggregate, monitor, and visualize log information from a variety of sources in your environment. For example, you can use Splunk to interact with your Code42 environment log data, as well as tools like Kibana or Graylog.
This article describes how to enable syslog logging in your Code42 environment.
There are two parts to configuring syslog for your Code42 environment logs:
- Configuring syslog communications for your enterprise servers
- Configuring syslog for each log
By default, syslog-enabled logs remain on the local enterprise server. Optionally, send logs to a remote syslog server by configuring the system properties for syslog's
|Syslog System Property||Default Value||Purpose|
|c42.log.syslog.v1.host|| ||The hostname or IP address of your syslog server|
|c42.log.syslog.v1.facility|| ||The facility keyword for syslog data|
Individual log configuration
Each enterprise server stores operational information in. Each log can use either syslog or basic, local logging. Configure the type of logging behavior using system properties.
|Code42 environment Log||Purpose|
Detailed records of all enterprise server activity and backup activity
High level events, such as:
Records of Code42 API requests
Before you begin
These steps assume that you already have an operating syslog server. For assistance with setting up a syslog server, contact sales about engaging our PRO Services team.
The example commands shown here apply to all your enterprise servers. For more information on configuring system properties, including alternative parameters that target individual enterprise servers, refer to Administration console Command-Line Interface.
- Sign in to your administration console.
- Double-click the Code42 logo to open the administration console command-line interface.
- Enter the following commands, syslog communication:
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.host localhost save all prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.facility LOCAL0 save all to your syslog configuration, to configure
- Enter the following commands to enable syslog for each log.
falseto disable syslog for each log.
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.root.enabled true save all
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.history.enabled true save all
prop.set c42.log.syslog.v1.rest.enabled true save all
- Restart all enterprise servers in your Code42 environment.
- Navigate to Destinations > Servers in the administration console.
- For each enterprise server:
- Select the enterprise server to view its details.
- Click Action menu > Restart Server to immediately restart the enterprise server.