The CrashPlan app stores your computer's ID (GUID) in a text file named .identity. The .identity file containing the computer ID is preserved when you uninstall and reinstall the CrashPlan app.
In order to use the Adopt a Computer feature, the following must all be true:
- No .identity file exists on the system when the CrashPlan app is installed
- Following installation, you sign in using Existing Account as a user with one or more devices AND
- There is no backup archive for the device performing the adoption (the new CrashPlan app install)
If the all three conditions are not met, the Adopt a Computer feature is not available. This can occur because:
- Generally, when you upgrade your operating system without reformatting your hard drive, the .identity file remains intact. You will not see the Adopt A Computer dialog when you sign into the CrashPlan app. Adoption is not required.
- If you've moved your entire user account with Mac's Migration Assistant or have cloned your system, the old computer's ID may be brought over to the new computer. You are not presented with the Adopt A Computer dialog if the .identity file is transferred.
Make sure you move or restore your files to the computer. If files are not moved to the computer or restored to the computer before adopting, the CrashPlan app may mark the files as deleted. You then need to enable Display Deleted Files in order to restore files.
Adopt from the administration console
To adopt a computer as an administrator from the console, please follow these steps:
- Install the CrashPlan app software on the new device.
- Ask the user to sign in to the CrashPlan app on the new device.
- Move or restore the user's files to the new device.
- Sign into the console as an administrator.
- Navigate to the new computer's Devices details pane.
- From the action menu, choose Adopt a Computer. This displays a window that lists available devices from within the user's account.
- Select the device to adopt.
- Click Adopt.
The new CrashPlan app install inherits the adopted device's backup archive and settings.