- CrashPlan PROe
CrashPlan only backs up files included in the backup file selection. When you adopt a computer with a different operating system, your previous file selection becomes deselected. Therefore, any files that are not selected for backup are at risk of being removed from your archive unless you follow the steps below. If you have any questions about the steps outlined in this tutorial, contact our Customer Champion team.
Step 1: Install CrashPlan and restore your files
- Install the CrashPlan app on the new or newly-rebuilt computer
- Sign in to the CrashPlan app with your username and password
- Move or restore your files on the new or newly rebuilt computer
Step 2: Adopt your previous computer
- Open the CrashPlan app
- In the new computer message, click Adopt and select the computer you want to adopt
I don't see the option to Adopt
- If prompted, enter your username and password to sign back in to the CrashPlan app
Step 3: Update your file selection
After adopting a computer with a different operating system, your backup file selection appears empty. However, the file selection is actually intact, just hidden. You must update the file selection in order to select the locations you need backed up on the new computer.
Add Your Previous Computer To Your File Selection
When you adopt a computer with a different operating system, your previous file selection becomes deselected. Therefore, any files that are not selected for backup are at risk of being removed from your archive unless they are added back to your file selection.
Furthermore, the first time you click the Change button is your only chance to reselect directories from your old operating system. If you don't reselect the drive the first time, the option won't be available the next time you open the file selection dialog!
- Open the CrashPlan app
Your file selection will appear empty
- From the Backup tab, click Change
- Note that the root drive(s) from your old file selection appear in the file selection window
The drive is dimmed because it doesn't exist on the new computer, and you can't expand the subfolders because they don't exist either
- To avoid possible data loss, you must reselect the drive from the old operating system
- Add directories on the new operating system that should be backed up:
- Click Save
After you add folders from your new computer to your file selection, the CrashPlan app synchronizes your file selection. It will detect the files you restored on your new computer, and recognize them as the same files you previously backed up on your old computer.