When you back up to a friend destination, you can restore files from that destination over the web using the CrashPlan app on your computer. However, to restore all of the files backed up to your friend, it may be faster to copy the backup archive from your friend’s computer, then transport it to your computer for restoring. This tutorial describes how to copy your backup archive when physically located at your friend’s computer, attach that archive to your computer, and restore files.
If you only need to restore a few small files from your friend, we recommend restoring from the CrashPlan app on your computer instead.
Before You Begin
- You must be physically located at your friend's computer to perform the steps in this tutorial.
- You must have portable storage (external hard drive, USB drive, etc.) to transport files from your friend's computer to your computer. Ensure that the storage you use has enough free space to store entire size of your backup archive. You can see the total amount of storage used from Destinations > Friends on your computer, or from the Friends tab of your friend's computer.
Step 1: Copy Your Archive To An External Drive
- From your friend's computer, open the CrashPlan app.
- From Inbound, click your name to open details about your backup.
If you back up multiple computers to this friend, select the name of the computer from which you would like to restore files.
- From Location, click the linked folder path to open the folder containing your backup.
Your backup archive is located in the folder labeled with the 18-digit number that corresponds to the link clicked. This number also corresponds to the computer ID for your computer.
- Copy the entire 18-digit folder from you friend's computer to your portable storage.
Step 2: Attach The Archive To The CrashPlan App On Your Computer
After transporting the storage that contains your backup archive to your computer, you can attach the archive to the CrashPlan app.
- Connect the drive containing your archive to your computer.
- Open the CrashPlan app and go to Destinations > Folders.
- Choose Select.
- Navigate to the archive you'd like to attach.
Look for the folder that matches the source computer's ID: for example, 948212309528060501
- Click Ok.
Once the archive is successfully attached, CrashPlan will compare the contents of your backup file selection with the backup archive you attached. This process is known as synchronizing. Once CrashPlan is done synchronizing, you can restore your files.