- CrashPlan for Home
You've received a request from a friend who would like to protect the files on his computer by backing up to your computer using CrashPlan. If you accept and install CrashPlan on your computer, you and your friend can back up to each others' computers for free. Here are some important things to know about CrashPlan backup:
- It's secure. Your friends can't see your files / folders and you can't see theirs.
- It's automatic. There are no annoying prompts or interruptions.
- It's quiet. You won't even know it's there
Here's how to respond to your friend's invitation and start backing up to each other:
- Download CrashPlan from the downloads page.
- Launch the CrashPlan installer to install CrashPlan.
The set-up assistant guides you through the installation.
- When installation completes, launch the CrashPlan application.
CrashPlan displays the Create Account screen.
- Click New Account if it is not already selected.
- Enter your name, email address and password to create your CrashPlan account.
Use the same email address that your friend used to invite you. After setting up your backup, you can easily change your email address.
- Click Create Account.
After creating your account, the application displays the Backup screen.
- Under Backup Request, click Accept to allow your friend to back up to your computer.
- Under Destinations, next to the name of your friend's computer, click Start Backup to begin backing up to your friend's computer.
Check out all of the great CrashPlan features by taking it for a test drive.
NOTE: CrashPlan is multi-destination backup, which means that you can back up personal files to CrashPlan Central, our online destination (in addition to backing up to your friends). When you created your account, you were automatically signed up for a 30-day free trial to CrashPlan for Home with a subscription. If you would like to take advantage of cloud backup, just click Start Backup next to CrashPlan Central. See Backing Up to CrashPlan Central for detailed instructions. After the trial, if you decide not to purchase a CrashPlan for Home subscription, you can still back up to your CrashPlan friends at no charge.
Removing Your Friend's Data
If your friend no longer wants to use you as a backup destination, your friend needs to open the CrashPlan app and remove you as a backup destination. To do this, tell your friend to follow these steps:
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Click the Friends tab.
- From the Select a friend list, select your computer.
- Click the Remove Backup Destination button.
- Click Save.
This will remove your friend's backup archive from your computer. If you are backing up to that friend's computer, it will remain a backup destination for you.